26 September, 2007

Children of the Corn


As I sit here looking outward to the students of UO, I am overwhelmed by a sense of ... judgment. I feel as though I am looking at them like rich pigs with little appreciation for the world around them. Is this an honest assessment, or rather a jealous conclusion?. What brings me to this place of judgment, why am I not the one with the pretty hair, the skinny body and the riches to back my actions up. Where is that presence within that says "keep it cool boy". Am I the freak?, the poor boy?, the outspoken oddity?, and the performer with too much insecurity?. What in all reality could be so wrong with that?.

This world has taught us to hate everything about ourselves just so that we can live up to the image of those who gave into that exact lie. So when I feel this way I must look deeper within ... what am I really seeing in these people?. The pretty girl with the skinny body probably goes home to her dorm and thinks about how ugly she is on the inside, and the pretty boy with all the nice clothes probably goes home thinking "What will Dad think when I tell him I'm gay?". The truth behind all of these nice clothes and beautiful bodies is that there are deep rooted secrets and emotions which are abused and masked by the popularity of celebrity/ wealth-worshipping culture.

So maybe I'm not all that bad myself, maybe my thoughts and emotions are controversial for the simple reason that nobody else is comfortable enough to say it. So maybe I'm rich in emotion and intellect, while they are rich in cars and face cremes. Life is too short to truly worry about the rich and beautiful, the truth is that we can only be ourselves, and when we find ourselves lost in the fantasy that we are supposed to be Kate Moss or Orlando Bloom, we are truly killing the gentle, childlike innocence of the human spirit within.

No comments: